Sunday, November 3, 2019

The Fine Art of Healing

Having had a divorce after trying so hard to make things work I was exhausted, angry, my mind was fuggy...that was the best I could describe it at the time.  I work only part time at a library that I feel the safest to work at, I couldn't leave it and besides there are not a lot of jobs in this small midwestern town I live in.  I am an artist so I turn to my art to help get me through.  I came up with this masterful idea of collecting my many favorite pieces that have gotten broken do to my kids never keeping their hands off my favored objects.  I bought an old printer's tray and just a few weeks before the Art Show was to start in my town I got my pieces to tell a story...I didn't know exactly what story I was telling till I figured out it was about broken and reforged relationships..the piece was called What We Do With the Lost, The Broken and the Found.  It is also a first collage piece as well as the first time I encased in resin.  I also added items that represent the town I lived in.  I was pretty stressed over the final part of the piece, making the resin, but it all came out perfectly..even my 17 year old trans gender son said it was beautiful and I often get more snarky criticism than praise from that kid. 
And here is me with my winner, my first Best In Show.  I will have to see about getting an up close shot and spend some time explaining the pieces and why I did it that way..granted mostly I just went with my gut, and the understanding of the significance of the work dawned on me.  It was a strong feeling of healing when I did this piece because I put all my hurt and brokenness and my regrets and past pains in it, but good memories are in there too.  The  guy who was the judge is also our towns new art teacher for the community college here, and he was going on about how this piece fascinated him and how he loved the title..I had other works in oil paints there but this was my winner so I might try it again now that I am comfortable with using resin.  This was the most happiest moment of my life here, I was so proud and I hope to come up with something great for next years show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bleed The Knife

                                       Bleed The Knife by Julie Akeman   I have been thinking of this piece all day..and finally execute...