Wednesday, November 13, 2019

The Wolf

“The Wolf”
By Corey Kneedler
The ravenous wolf of time grows hungrier for us every day. Each passing day brings it closer, reminding of us of our inevitable mortality.
Plagued with frailty, weakness and the sting of decay, we press on through life’s barriers one by one.
Sometimes moving slowly forward through a sea of molasses we keep going, chasing after the dream of a better life, a new start, something real and fresh out that brings happiness to our souls.
And yet the wolf keeps chasing, hungrier and hungrier as each hour passes.
It’s a fate we can not seem to escape. The hour of devouring will soon be at hand. Meal time approaches, and the table is set.
Will we make it to the finish line? Will we one day bask in the rays of the warm sunlight, free from harm, pain and sorrow?
Come, wolf. Chase after me. Try and catch me if you can. Always pressing forward, I won’t let the foul smell of your breath defeat me. I won’t let your intimidating growls shake me. I won’t let your claws rip me to shreds when I am down.
I will keep pressing on, through the forest of thorns, over the rivers of sorrows, past the desolate landscapes of the lonely desert, and into the depths of the darkest seas.
And when I’ve made it home, one day I’ll look back on you with a fiery confidence in my eyes, and I’ll pull back my bow and fire an arrow into your skull. With a smile, I’ll say, “You couldn’t catch me. Now I’ve caught you.”
And then I’ll stand over your corpse and say, “Thank you for chasing after me all these years. If it wasn’t for you, I never would have made it this far.”


Artwork by Julie Akeman



No comments:

Post a Comment

Bleed The Knife

                                       Bleed The Knife by Julie Akeman   I have been thinking of this piece all day..and finally execute...