Monday, August 22, 2011

It's still warm but Fall is comming



Some places may be getting cooler than others, I live in Kansas where the freakin weather can't make up it's mind.  But I have this lovely children's tube scarf available.  Nice and soft and done in merino wool. I bought the yarn from Wooly Rhinoceros and each yarn is different, hand dyed you don't get the same yarn twice.
This is so ultra soft superwash yarn and I loved knitting it, it is a thick and thin yarn and knitted it in stockinette 
stitch but in a way that the scarf rolls in itself, making an interesting tube.  It is a fun piece and my kids want one of their own, they have to wait on that, besides I have made them scarfs of their own why do they want more?? 
 Well, kids just love it when they have a mom that can do this sort of thing.  Ok I'm not chiding those mothers who may not have the creative bug (mine's an all out virus!) and I am not miss perfect Martha Stewart so relax on that one.  I love to knit and I was trying to teach my nine year old to knit, but she has little patience on the matter. She loves the kitchen though, I'm pretty good with the cookies and cakes and muffins, but I'm not all that thrilled about the kitchen to be honest.  My HUSBAND can COOK!  His favorite shows are Hell's Kitchen, Kitchen Confidential  and I like Cake Boss, in fact my daughter wants me to make a red velvet cake with chocolate Ganache,  I had to look that one up in my Betty Crocker book and thank GOD it's THERE!!  
Fall is coming and to make it easier for me as I create holiday inventory I am looking for Crock Pot recipes.
Yes, I'm a lazy cooker, but because my husbands health is iffy during the winter months I want some things planned ahead that will be easy to do.
I homeschool, create paintings on every conceivable surface I work two hours at the library five days a week to have some extra money  and I need time to be creative or else my life would suck.  Really it would and my oldest understands, my four year old is starting to get it. 
My husband is learning to understand my frenzy, sometimes he just needs to look away.
Once I did a Thanksgiving dinner just for my family, not BIG family just me, hubby and kids.
I can't even remember what I MADE!
Well, my husband and I are learning to cook meals together.  When we leave the kids with grandparents
we try out a new recipe, one took us a few hours to do, Chicken curry and Aloo Gobi, ever since I saw Bend it Like Beckham I wanted to do Aloo Gobi.
Something warm to eat in the fall and winter months, mmm Indian spices make my tongue sing!!
Oh and neither one of us in Indian by the way, we just LOVE the food of other cultures.
German, West African, Cuban, Italian, whatever, we just find the recipes online.
Sorry for all the babble, I haven't been on here in a bit and I hope to change that, just had some hard times at home and now we are getting things back in line.
MMM can't wait for Halloween, my favorite month.  Here is my Painting for Halloween
A Irish legend of terror, the Pooka, or Puka, in some areas of Ireland it's a slimy horse from a bog, 
in others it's a troll.  Sometimes the Pooka is a horse with long ears like a rabbit.
Mine is slimy green rising out with it's legs in the middle of forming so they looks a little misshapen.
I have fall bottles and candle jars bouncing around in my head, I have to start working on my designs.
Soo much to do, so little time.


5 comments:

  1. OMG! I LOVE the Pooka painting. Amazing. I know what you mean about life sucking when you're not creative! I love this post - I'm equally impressed that your daughter knows what ganache is (I don't, but I've heard of it and I cook)and that your husband cooks! Lucky you. My BFF and I have always had a theory that the best husband is a mechanic that can also do hair and cook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ariel and I watched a lot of episodes of Cake Boss, so we know a lot about ganache, I just wasn't sure how to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Pooka painting. Fun post and I can relate. Also, Kris's comment on the best husband is hilarious. I think I actually managed to marry that man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol...I fail as a best husband! I can cook but I'm a rubbish mechanic and Mrs P won't let me go near her with a pair of scissors!

    The Pooka painting is seriously cool - love it!

    ReplyDelete

Bleed The Knife

                                       Bleed The Knife by Julie Akeman   I have been thinking of this piece all day..and finally execute...