Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Loftus Hall coming together






When I started working on this I had to start with grid lines to work this picture out.  I don't like using grid lines since as I am drawing they can be distracting though at the same time it's keeping things in place and I can mentally break down the whole picture into shapes and shades and not get overwhelmed with what I am doing here.  I have never done an interior painting like this EVER.  
For many years I have been making paintings that are just straight from my mind with little use of photo references though some sketches from real life like trees and stuff influences some pieces and the sketches of animals and such.  This is different.
I'm wanting to get the staircase as accurate as possible but the coloring has to do with the vision I saw.  
Yeah I started with magenta, but then I layer down Alzirion Crimson.  I wonder if my color choice was inspired by the blood bath from The Shining.  
I really wish I had a way to do a video of my work.  Maybe I can ask for one next Christmas.  
I am planning to block in more of the color tonight but I am doing the stairs slowly.  There is some really good shape and shading and I don't want to lose that in the painting.  I'll be working in magenta and indigo at once to capture the look I want.
Talking about my art and the process of it is really HARD for me.  I don't know if this has to do with my Aspberger's syndrome or the fact I am not at all practiced in this.
I am currently reading a book about NYC artists, transcribed taped sessions that started back in the seventies and goes up to present day.
It's great reading this because I find there isn't a right or wrong way to talk about my work, not really, it's just that I've been pounded on about how everything I do is wrong.
For me it seems I can do my art right.
Even if I have a hard time with a certain perspective or make a mistake somewhere I find my oil painting very forgiving.  It's the one learning process I really trust and can fully let go on.
As I am working on this piece I am thinking about the others I want to do.  I got a real love of horses and have seen some excellent horse art on Etsy, my chosen selling platform.

Horses, whales, dolphins, wolves, and yet I am totally focused on Loftus Hall the first building interior I have done since oh Green River Community College art classes when I had to do some perspective drawing.
LOL actually I hated doing buildings then, but I did a few paintings of cityscapes for class. 
I really just wasn't into them, some of them were kind of flat.  
I don't know what got into me though I am a bit obsessed with Ghost Adventures.
It just hit me when I saw that photo of the staircase that I had to paint that, then the other places I really want to paint those too, then I started thinking of other ideas beyond Ghost Adventures Locations.  I have my own stuff in my many sketchbooks waiting to be fleshed out in paintings.
For two years I have not been able to paint and now it's just exploding forth
I have to follow it.  I end up staying up late at night to do this but it's worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bleed The Knife

                                       Bleed The Knife by Julie Akeman   I have been thinking of this piece all day..and finally execute...