Tuesday, July 26, 2011

VBS WEEK

Going to be kind of hard to keep up this week on my blog, it's VBS week, Vacation Bible School.  I actually got roped into it by my husband and he was supposed to be a part of it to but no one contacted him on anything and I just got sucked into it.  I haven't done a VBS before but I have sent my oldest daughter to them last year, this year she's RVing with my parents up in Washington.  Because she is gone I save the crafts we do for her.  We have some pretty neat stuff going on and I end up with a LOT of scraps.  I noticed that today when we did clay crosses we had three boxes left.  I'd LOVE to take one home but I wanted to wait to see if they have other plans for it after all they do Bible School with the kids and probably could use that later.  I did get to do a clay cross, tried to roll out a piece to do a triskele, a triangle type of celtic knotwork but it would not work, clay was drying out and breaking up so I just engraved it on the middle of the cross.  When it dries I'll show it on here.

We did the clay crosses with the older kids but with the pre K and Kindergarteners we did a pillow turtle.  I was part of the pre work on that in helping cut out all those components of the flippin turtles.  And got to keep the scraps afterwards.  Everytime we get our youngest group in I get down on my knees to be eye to eye on them, good thing to because I got a very rambunctious boy who is adorable but must be in pre K.  He doesn't  know his colors yet.  I had to help him a lot.  I got to take home a turtle to make at home for my younger daughter.  It's a felt turtle and the leaders of the craft group found out while making a sample that glue does NOT stick felt together so they sewed up the sample turtle and tonight they are sewing all those turtles up.  It's a turtle pillow and they were worried the project would fall apart when the kids waved it to show their parents.  I have to hand sew mine, I haven't used a sewing machine since 8th grade Home Ec.

I have been working on some new bracelets and getting my plastic hummingbirds painted.
The first one I show you is how the hummingbirds were originally painted.  I did NOT like the color.



Forgive me if it's a little blurry, I had to scan it, it's the best I can do.  Now I'll show you the other ones.
This is the first one I painted, it was the same color as the one above.

This one I did today and you can't see it here but there is glitter on the bodies of the hummingbirds in this one.
I coated it first in Calypso Blue then I painted over it with a bit of turquoise glitter paint.  It has a nice shimmer to it.  The colors are brighter and let's face it it looks a lot newer too.  If anyone is wondering if hummingbirds have this kind of color, who really cares, it's called artistic license, it looks pretty, I don't always go for true to life color. And what am I going to do with these flamboyant birds?  They are going to decorate frames and I am putting the frames up on Etsy.  I just love coming up with fun ideas to make old things new.
Not sure what to do with the last humming bird yet, maybe purple with yellow and the flowers will be yellow and orange.

3 comments:

  1. Love the colours on the (re)painted hummingbirds - Artistic License to Thrill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah the old colors just look dirty (and I cleaned them) old and dated like late 70's to early 80's and this brings them to life, I think they were wall decorations well they are going to be frame decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both, actually! The original reminds me of the 50s and something possibly my grandmother would have had in her home had she not been institutionalized.

    Great idea painting those plastic hummingbirds. They really don't look plastic at all!

    ReplyDelete

Bleed The Knife

                                       Bleed The Knife by Julie Akeman   I have been thinking of this piece all day..and finally execute...