Saturday, August 6, 2011

Improvement

Well I found out something today about Gallery Glass paints, it needs a varnish to toughen it up.
I woke up this morning deciding to look up Gallery Glass and read more about it since it bothers me that when I am finished the stuff is dry but so soft.  It needs a sealant, a varnish, and Gallery Glass has it's own but I found some to use that's for enamel paints and it seems to make it just fine.  I noticed it has harden the Gallery Glass so it's NOT so fragile which makes me happy.  I just varnished my Wonderland bottle, the Gallery Glass side and that did make a difference.  It doesn't stick to paper either, used to before and I end up peeling off the bit of paint with the paper.

I also used my paint to do some stamp art on my gift pockets
I really liked how that turned out.  Fall is coming and I want to do something different.
I am making wrist warmers and I wanted to do some stamp art to decorate it.
I dunked the wrist warmers, which were cut up sock leftovers from VBS Sealy Socks
and I dyed them using Koolaid
Using warm water and koolaid and 1/4 cup of vinegar
I set the socks to soak in  a jar, sun heated for the whole day.
This is a fun project to do with the kids, especially older ones.
I like to set the socks out to dry, it's really HOT here
but when pressed for time after rinsing
heat dry socks in a dryer by themselves OR
use a Hairdryer if you don't have a dryer, it works
and the HEAT sets the color
Nothing stains better than koolaid.
You can decorate this in many ways like using puffy paint or any kind of fabric paint or marker.
I am embroidering the cuffs, first you have to sew the cut edges.
then I embroider around on the top
I'm halfway done with one of mine, it looks like this
This was dyed in purple but I didn't use enough packets
looks kind of like salmon pink!
I am embroidering the edge with purple floss, you can just see the seam
where I sewed the cut edge back into the sock.
This is my first try and the next one was a lot neater
In fact the first pair will be mine to show while the others will be sold
This is my practice piece, so I know what works what won't and take that knowledge 
to the next pair.
I have made sets of blue, orange, and will soon make red.
I will list them on Etsy, 
Wristwarmers made with old socks (mine are new just cut) is a Shappy Chic way of looking cool!
A great way to improve something that is worn out.
I have a lot of worn out HEELS on my socks so now I 
have a project to do with my kids.

1 comment:

  1. What a cute idea! I live in the cold North, Fall comes soon!

    ReplyDelete

Bleed The Knife

                                       Bleed The Knife by Julie Akeman   I have been thinking of this piece all day..and finally execute...