Thursday, August 25, 2011

Day of the Dead artwork


The above photo effect was achieved by placing my finger over the flash but I was trying to cover the red out light too, didn't work too well but the photo looked cool for this post anyway.
This is how it really looks although I am not done with it yet.
This is what I am working on.  I noticed a lot of neat Sugar Skull artwork on Etsy.
I looked it up on Google to find out about it's history and really got interested in making my own.
This is my second skull done on a large wine bottle with Gallery Glass paints, it's not done yet, I'll be adding more skulls, working like this takes time.  I have to do one side of the bottle and let it dry overnight.
I took the picture indoors so when it's done I can get a better pic when dried and can take it outdoors.

Now here is the first one I did with glass paints
I'll have to get an upclose shot of this when it's daytime.
But you get the idea.
I have other fall items to work on.
Halloween is like my most favorite holiday but after reading about 
Dia De Los Muertos
and seeing all the neat Sugar Skull artwork on Etsy
I just had to find out more about the holiday
and of course make my own Sugar Skull artwork.
My background is a mix of Scots/Irish English and perhaps a bit of French
(most Americans do anyway) and German and a smidgen of Cherokee
I'm a Christian but one side of my family descended from a large Jewish family that over time married into different branches of Christianity 
So in other words I'm a MUTT!
I love cultures and I envy my cousins who have traveled to different places over the world
One of them married an artist from Africa.
I read a lot on different cultures.
I am autistic (Aspberger's type)
Meeting people is NOT easy for me, and I have allergies to a lot of things
so I travel in my head.
Well, now I"m in Mexico I guess with all the Day of the Dead stuff.
I have been familiar enough with the celebration, read an article on it in a kid's magazine
seen the Crow 2 with its references to that day.
Now I see it all over on Etsy, on earrings, paper mache, paintings, mosaics, 
so I am jumping on the bandwagon, for this Fall anyway and looking
to do my own interpretation of the art form.
Check out the link for more information on the Cultural History of Sugar Skulls
It's really cool!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Bleed The Knife

                                       Bleed The Knife by Julie Akeman   I have been thinking of this piece all day..and finally execute...