Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Moon Dragon



The background for my next dragon painting..calling it my moon dragon..probably going to end up as a series just so I can work on the job of backgrounds then letting the paint dry a little then adding the dragon..working wet into wet...maybe I'll be the Bob Ross of Dragons haha.

I'm listening to Pink Floyd's What do you Want From Me (I don't own the rights to the music)..audio not that great..had to balance the laptop to do the video.  Someday I'll get a camera and stand.  I painted the background the day before with water soluble oils, then start with a sinuous line to mark out the shape of the dragon.  Probably best to watch with the audio off..it's pretty hard on the ears.

The stars are fun to add...I have to step back to see how they look..trying to make them sparkle.
You can see the basic shape of the dragon and it's very similar to the Luck Dragon I did last year..basically in the same position..this one the snout is a lot shorter.

No photo description available.
I do love the Chinese style of dragons with the fur waving in the wind..and yes I love Spirited Away..love to see it again.  I want to work at doing this over and over again to get the feel of doing the dragons in this kind of way..I love mixing the paint into the canvas..my art teacher..the only one I didn't like and also found out none of the other teachers liked her..was always against mixing onto the canvas...be free to experiment for yourself you know...that's how you find your style..try different brands of paint.  I use Lukas oils, they dry quickly, and now I switched to their water soluble oils because they are so easy to clean and you really only need water to mix..and I found out that I can also use acrylic with it on the surface..did a small experiment to see if they do work since they are water based and yes they do.
If you have any interest in buying my paintings please comment..let me know what you like..My old Etsy shop has been inactive but once I get my artworks lined up I will try to put things together..I am a single mom so this is tough.  My ex hit one of the younger kids, they got taken into custody, and it took a couple of days to get them released to me..three kids..and I work part time at a library so it's been my wish to support myself better through my art..which takes time and support.
Thank you for reading this..let me know what you like..and I hope to make prints because really these oil paintings will be priced high..I put a lot of work in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bleed The Knife

                                       Bleed The Knife by Julie Akeman   I have been thinking of this piece all day..and finally execute...