Sunday, October 16, 2011

There Be Dragons

Dragons are my favorite subject to paint or draw but I don't have a whole lot of them.
I take my time on my dragons and I have a hard time creating them.
This is from a sketch pad of practicing my dragons.  The lessons are from a book about dragonart
written by an artist known as neonDragon.  Very cool dragons, but got a strong Magna look to it.
But it did help me in figuring out the horns, the book showed how the skull  of a typical dragon looks like and how the horns set in.  That was one of my problems, making the horns realistic enough.  The next part was the wings and the limbs.  
This piece was done way before I even found that dragon art book.  The horns are a bit weak for me personally but many people I showed to on Kaboodle loved it and I decided to make it into a card
since I can't sell the original print, the edges of the Bristol drawing paper got really torn up but the picture itself stayed intact.  I also made a photo print and that came out well.  The above link takes you to the link for the card, I think it makes a great Gothic Birthday card.
This was originally a class assignment for drawing three at the community college I was going to.
The drawing teacher was a real cool guy but he said not to use the charcoal reversal drawing to do dragons.
He hated dragons, thought it was overdone.
Well I could not help but do a dragon in charcoal reversal, just my dragon was more subtle.
I got an A on it and he really REALLY liked how I did it.
I had one student how I got away with it.
I think I understood what he was tired of
which was the commercial designs of the dragons you see on posters and t shirts.
I grew up with my dad's Dragonriders of Pern books all around the house.
The dragons are a bit different from what is seen on t shirts, especially the newest book jacket artwork.

After working though that Dragon Art book I got a very good painting done of a dragon.



I really love how the wings turned out.  Some people had trouble seeing the dragon at first.  Yeah, the guy is a traveler and he was walking though a valley that is full of dragons.  He doesn't see any, because they are green and blend in with the hills.
There is a bit of a story to this work.  The guy is something of a hedge wizard, knows some small magics but can't always get the results he wanted, think of a more incompetent wizard like Schmendrick from the Last Unicorn.  He does more slight of hand.  The thing is though he has the potential for greater magic.
The dragon he stumbles on is a mage dragon, he can do magic.  
I don't remember too many stories of dragons with magic, maybe I'm not reading the right stuff.
Oh I remember Puff the magic Dragon, children's fantasy, and there is the PBS series Dragon Tales, but that's more recent.  I grew up watching the 80's Dragonslayer, the beast flew and had fire but no magic.
Pete's Dragon turned invisible.
A dragon series I read only one book of was of a race of dragon's that can turn into humans and stay in that disguise and live in the modern world.
Let's not forget Draco though, from Dragonheart, that is my inspiration for the above painting.
My husband has got a cool Magna show uh Lodos War or something like that.  Kind of like D&D with it's characters, got the hero, mage, a religious healer, a thief, a pretty and sassy elf girl and a gungh ho dwarf.  But it has a story line that is more complex and the character's are not flat..best piece of work I wish American's should take a lesson from.  Hate movies with weak story lines, Reign of Fire comes to mind.  Looked like a cool dragon movie but I fell asleep through it!
I want to see a dragon that is a more complex creature, not just a beast this fierce hunting intelligence.  Draco was a good start, but I want more, like a complex society of dragons.
OHHHH I forgot about this book series by Mercedes Lackey and Andre Norton
uh the Elvenbane books, it has a society of  mage dragons.
Man where has my mind been!
Still, I haven't seen too much after that.
Or else I have been so busy raising my little 'dragonlings' that I have not kept up with the books coming out.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Bleed The Knife

                                       Bleed The Knife by Julie Akeman   I have been thinking of this piece all day..and finally execute...