Monday, August 1, 2011

Gift Pocket

This item is available HERE
I have been adding free gift pockets to my bracelets.  I wanted an interesting way to package my items.  The green felt is the leftovers from the pillow turtles from VBS week.
Each pocket will have a different decoration on the front, depending on what I find.
For my lady bug bracelet (those are WHITE lady bugs, not dice, I know it's hard to see that)
I found a bead from the same stash of beads I made the bracelet with.  I do not have any more red acrylic beads like that now.  There is still one more bead left but that's it, they are not being manufactured anymore.
The pockets themselves are easy to make, I didn't use a pattern.  Didn't take me long to sew them up.  The embroidery though took a little bit more time but I wanted to do it for this one to practice for another craft idea I have.
I have leftover cut up socks from VBS.  We made sealy socks, we used the toe to the heel part to make the seal, the rest was cast off.  The VBS manual said you could use the rest for another craft like making bottle covers.  I am going to make tie dyed wrist warmers.
After I dye these things they will need to be hemmed where it was cut, I am going to embroider that part.
Since it's been a long time since I embroidered I wanted to practice which is why I did that pocket the way I did.  It came out quite well.
Another item I'd like to share is this

This is my Alice in Wonderland bottle, on Etsy now HERE  It's an Olive Oil bottle and I really wanted to do something with it.  It reminded me of Alice's bottle she drank from.  On one side is Alice on her mushroom with a butterfly above her.  The butterfly is a acid free scrapbooking sticker.  The other side of the bottle has Drink Me and I used Gallery Glass paints for the label and Gallery Glass liquid leading.  Please note that the paints used are non toxic and there is no lead in the liquid leading, Gallery Glass is used to be an easy way to simulate stained glass.  I have worked in stained glass, a LOT of work!  Worth it if you have the patience for it, but you are working with lead and must take precautions when you are done, mostly that's just washing hands and keeping hands away from your mouth.
    I want to make more art on bottles.  I actually have a bunch here that I have done.  Wine bottles, I have another olive oil bottle for another Wonderland character, the Cheshire Cat.  I also have some St. Brendan's Irish Whiskey, good stuff and I LOVE the bottles.  On one I have a dragon painted on it, on another a Celtic Knotwork design.  I have lots of jars and party decorated Starbucks bottles.  I'm glad I finally got my camera working again so I can take pictures.  Now I just have to learn not to take such fuzzy pictures!

6 comments:

  1. I love that little bag and think you should make it bigger. It would make a great tote or purse!

    The bottles are cool and I can't wait to see your Chesire Cat bottle! Please share that when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas. I'm glad I'm not the only one who keeps things like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right about making it a purse, when I showed it on Kaboodle and looked how the bracelet was half in the bag it looked like a handle and yes it will be a purse eventually. I have to work out the details on that. Try it out on my nine year old daughter and see how strong it will be. I hate kids stuff that just falls apart you know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kid-proofing anything is hard work! LOL. I once made a bracelet for my BFF out of memory wire which is rather sturdy and her nephew/superhero, pulled it apart and it broke. I couldn't believe it and thought he the baby Clark Kent!

    I look forward too, to seeing the purse in progress and the final product!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really neat!!!!! Sounds like lots of work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. doing the simple pocket isn't that hard, the embroidery is more work, but I wanted to practice for some hand died socks turned into wrist warmers, the cut ends need to be stitched up so I thought I'd embroider them. I made two more gift pockets today without the embroidery. I am soaking my socks in grape koolaid a dye recipie I got from the book Kids Knitting, it's actually for undyed wool but I figured it would work for socks.

    ReplyDelete

Bleed The Knife

                                       Bleed The Knife by Julie Akeman   I have been thinking of this piece all day..and finally execute...